Sunday, August 19, 2012

Weekend Projects - Trash to Treasure


























Thrift Store Make Overs

This post is all about turning "trash" into "treasure".
I wanted to do a late summer / early fall update with little or no money.  Change out the whites, pinks and purples for reds, greens and orange tones.  
I made a quick trip to the local thrift store and rummaged around my basement and garage.
At the thrift store I found an old wicker flower basket, some wooden shapes (a house & tree), a broken bench with ornate iron arms, two rusty 1950's chairs, and a half moon shaped bare wood piece.  On the way home  from the thrift store I stopped at a couple of  garage sales and picked up a lady statue and two damaged embroidered pillow cases.
~
My husband replaced most of  the wood slats on the bench using left over 6' foot fence pickets he ripped in half and cut to size.  I painted the iron arms with left over black spray paint and the wood slats with green enamel paint.  Total cost... $10 for the bench.
I love the wicker flower basket.  I picked it up for $1.  It had a damaged handle but I loved the green chippy paint.  I used damaged crocheted doilies and lace remnants to cover the handle.  I dressed it up with a flower I made from smaller doilies, lace and a big button for the center.
I stenciled a Welcome sign on the half moon shaped piece of wood I picked up for $1. 
I love wreaths!  I have one for every season, every holiday and then some.
I took the bare wood shapes I bought and painted them.....  a little house, a tree and a Welcome banner.
I wired them onto a grapevine wreath.  I hot glued a crocheted doily to the bottom and added silk flowers in fall tones.  I just love it!
I love my lady statue with her "chippy" paint.  The very reason her previous owner was getting rid of her.  She is really heavy.  She looks perfect sitting on the porch!  
Last but not least......  my fabulous 1950"s metal chairs!!!
What a wonderful find!  
They were rusty and wobbled but I knew my hubby could sturdy them up.....  and for $5 each.....  I couldn't pass them up!  I sanded them down and spray painted them.  Now they are gorgeous!  
I made two pillows from the damaged garage sale pillow cases ($1 for the pair).
Wow! what you can do with $25 and a lot of elbow grease!
I included a couple of pic's of my flower pots.  My flowers are blooming again!  Yeah!

     Enjoy!  

Linking with :
The Dedicated House for Make It Pretty Monday

Debbiedoos

Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

Tuesdays Treasures

The Farmhouse Porch for Cowgirl Up Tuesdays

Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays

Adorned From Above for Wednesdays Linky Party

11 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Oh- I love everything. My favorite is the statue. She is beautiful-A perfect fit for your porch. I also just LOVE those old chairs. I grew up with those on my front porch as a kid. You did a WHOLE LOTTA buyig with $25!!! Happy Sunday to you- xo Diana

Victoria said...

What a beautiful and inviting space you've created there! I love the bench and the chippy statue...she's gorgeous!!! Front porches and summer evenings go hand in hand:)

The Polka Dot Closet said...

What a fabulous face lift! I can't believe you found those fabulous metal chairs for $5 that was the deal of the century!!! The pillows and welcome sign are adorable!

Carol

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Everything looks so nice and fresh. You've created a very inviting space.

Heirloom treasures said...

Oh Liz,you did a great job with $25 wow. I think it all looks really nice.
We have a bench just like yours and the same colour too. Some of the slats have rotted through,but my hubby couldn't get the right width timber. Never thought of pickets. It's amazing the things you find out blogging. Love it. and love visiting you too. Till next time xx ooo jeanette

Linda Carole Bloom said...

Of course the lady statue is my favorite! Been looking for one just like that. I cannot believe the bargain you got on those metal chairs - they sell for a fortune around here - you are sooo talented.

Susan EvelynAndRose said...

How creative and thrifty you are Elizabeth! You and your husband are quite talented. These are great new looks for fall.
THanks so much for your kind comment over at my blog - so glad you enjoy the somerset life mags!

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi Elizabeth: I was just checking out your blog after you visited me today, and I'm now a new follower. I love everything you acquired. What a good deal you got and were able to make so many beautiful things out of it. I especially love your chairs and pillows. You must be one busy girl keeping up with it all and redoing the kitchen too..Happy Monday..Judy

Elegant Economies said...

We could get in lots of trouble together! I have had my sweet husband building loads of stuff this summer, too! New follower.

Debbiedoos said...

Your gardens are so pretty. And what pretties adorn it. Thanks for sharing with my party.

Adorned From Above said...

Hi Elizabeth,
You did a fabulous job. I love all of your finds and redo's. Thank you so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party last week. This weeks Link Party is opened at http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/08/free-bee-sweet-hat-pattern-crocheted.html
Hope to see you there.
Debi Bolocofsky
Adorned From Above
www.adornedfromabove.com