Saturday, July 28, 2012

So Shabby Chic ~ Tile Coasters



  
  

 Shabby Chic Tile Coasters

Aren't these the prettiest coasters!
I love how they came out!
I used left over travertine tiles and waterslide decals.
They are heat set and protected with three coats of clear sealer.
I googled "how to make tile coasters" and found several tutorials.
Note:  when  using the waterslide decals.....  the "background" is the color of the tiles.
You may prefer a "solid" image....  instead of a clear image as I used here.
On the back side I used a piece of  1/8" thick "press and stick" cork.  Hand cut into a square a little smaller than the tile.  You can buy the cork in sheets at  your local crafts store.
LOL!  They are so pretty that I don't want to sit a wet glass on them.  I bought some of those white paper "bar" coasters to put under my glass so it doesn't sit directly on the tile.  Silly.... I know.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend!

Joining these linky parties ~
Show and Tell Friday
and
Pink Saturday
and

20 comments:

Gabriela Delworth - Instructional Designer said...

HPS!

What a super project! In fact they make a lovely gift!


Gabriela

Unknown said...

Wow, those sure are pretty!
Hapy Pink!
Lorena

romance-of-roses said...

Hi, I just found your blog, so pretty. Have a question on the tiles I don't understand about heat set on the decals. I have done decals before but have fired them in my kiln. Your coasters are lovely. Hugs...Lu

LV said...

Love those coasters. You did a super job making them.

Olivia said...

Oh my goodness I love these!!!
xo
Olivia

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

They are very pretty. Beautiful patterns.

The Porcelain Rose said...

I used Krafty Blok laser paper by Image Art. Ater applying the images to the tiles.... I heat set by putting them in the oven at 345 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes. Because they are "drink coasters" to avoid damage I added three coats of gloss spray sealer.

NanaDiana said...

Those are gorgeous. I have never worked with those water slide decals..but I am going to one of these days. Those coasters would make a GREAT housewarming gift- xo Diana

Sylvia said...

Oh so pretty! I have made coasters from tiles (plain) before but these are just georgeous.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Oh my, those are sooo pretty! Beautiful patterns! Thanks for sharing and Happy Pink Saturday!

Blessings,
Sandi

Doni said...

Thanks so much for joining my link party with this fantastic idea! I LOVE those gorgeous coasters! You did a great job on those....and I too would probably have to 'save' them with a napkin or paper towel!!
We think alike!
OK...I need to find those waterslide decals and try this!!
Blessings, Doni

Tami @ Creative girl Vintage said...

These are absolutely wonderful!! Love them!
Happy (a little late) Pink Saturday..xo Tami

romance-of-roses said...

Hi and thank you for explaining about heat setting. I had never heard of this method, so interesting. Your work is fabulous absolutely love them. Hugs...Lu

RobinfromCA said...

Well done! Those are so pretty I wouldn't want to put a wet glass on them either!
Robin

janice15 said...

They are gorgeous...I just love them...thank you for sharing the know how ... I would love to do this..have a great day..with love Janice

Kathy said...

Beautiful and I want to make some!! I just love reading your blogs:)

Natasha in Oz said...

Thanks so much for linking up to Say G’Day Saturday! I just shared this post on my Facebook page and pinned it too!

This week’s party has just started so I hope you can join in again!

Best wishes,
Natasha in Oz

White Lace and Promises said...

So glad I stumbled upon you. I am following you and loving your posts. I hope you will visit and follow me. I have much to learn as a new follower.

Jen said...

They are beautiful! This is such a wonderful solution to the "ugly coaster" syndrome that seems to be in all the stores :~)

Kerryanne @ Shabby Art Boutique said...

Beautiful and shabby. Thanks for sharing at Shabbilicious Friday.